From Bengeo Parish Church Magazine, March 1938
ST. LEONARD’S CHURCH.
Our readers, especially those who have been kind enough to help towards the cost of the renovations, will be interested to hear how matters are progressing. The work in connection with the roof timbers has now been completed and Messrs. Norris & Son have practically finished the whole of their part of the renovation. Professor Tristram and Mr. Weir, the architect, have most carefully examined the wall over the Norman Arch and also round the Chancel, and a report has been received from Professor Tristram. He tells us that there are mural paintings of three or four distinct periods, the earliest being thirteenth century. He has offered to peel off the plaster covering this mural painting on the walls mentioned above, and to treat them with a preservative, for the sum of £35, doing the work personally. This offer has been accepted, and it will be most interesting to see the result. Funds are still coming in slowly, and this £35 is, of course, an extra expense, but we are sure that all will agree that the correct course of procedure has been adopted.