From Bengeo Parish Magazine, February 1938
PAROCHIAL CHURCH COUNCIL.
The quarterly meeting was held on January 3rd. There were present the Rector, in the chair, -Mr. Simmonds (Chairman); Mesdames Baker, Clark, Purkiss-Ginn, Norman and Simmonds; the Misses Campkin, Taylor and Watts; Major Temple; Messrs. Blakeley, Cadle, Clark, Jackson, Nicholls, Norris, Palmer, Pomfret, Simmonds and Townsend. Mr. S. Purkiss-Ginn also kindly attended at the invitation of the Council to report progress with the Restoration of St. Leonard’s Church. Apologies were received from Mrs. Oliver, Mr. Barker, Brown and Slessor.
Mr. Simmonds stated that an encouraging start had been made in response to the appeal for St. Leonard’s Church, and he hoped that further donations would be forthcoming. Mr. Ginn reported that the restoration of the roof timbers was almost complete, a new south door was being made, and two of the windows were to be made to open in order to afford more ventilation. As electricity had of necessity been installed for the work, he strongly recommended that the church be wired and fitted with lights as designed by Mr. Weir, the architect. The matter was well discussed and it was agreed that this work should be put in hand. Mr. Ginn further reported the discovery by the architect of a mural painting which had been plastered over at a later date. It was believed that further discoveries in this direction might be anticipated. The guidance of Professor Tristram, an expert on these paintings, was being sought. It was agreed that the architect be empowered to carry out further investigation with a view to the restoration of any other paintings which might be revealed.