Blakesware was a manor belonging to Stephen le Blake and is first mentioned at the beginning of the 14th century. Widbury or Grimbolds or Witeborough is mentioned in 1308 as belonging to the family of Grimbold. Waters or Martocks belonged to John-atte-Water in 1331 (now Watersplace). New Hall was held by John de Hengham in 1332 and ho gave it to the Abbot of Waltham Holy Cross.
Nimney Wood is mentioned in the 15th century with Appletons Farm. Babb’s Green in 1278 belonged to Peter le Babbe and Butlers Green in 1307 to Richard le Botiler. Cooks Farm had John Cook in 1308 and Reeves Green Walter le Reeve 1296. Bakers End is named after John le Bakire in 1342. Castlebury was called Kereswellbury or Cresswell Bury in 1342. Nobland Green is one of the strangest changes that time has made with a name. It was owned by Richard de Clobbenhale in 1294 and was later changed to Knobbenhall.
This is an extract from a paper read by Miss Lynch referred to elsewhere in this issue.