Ware Garages Ltd
High St, 1909-1994
Four years before the first Morris car was produced, Mr A D Skipp converted the Lion and Wheatsheaf pub into a garage. Skipp’s enthusiasm for the horse-less carriage prompted him to start a businesss as a garage and hire car proprietor.
The front part of the premises was altered so that the cars could be displayed in the windows. Workshops were built where derelict cottages once stood and the rear show rooms were built in 1958. The garage also had a branch in Star Street.
The doors closed in 1994, after trading for 85 years. The old showroom is now a branch of Boots and the workshops made way for Tesco to expand. Ware Garages moved to a new site in Ware Road.