Hertford's Yarn Bombed Christmas Tree 2019
Hertford’s “Yarn Bombers” or “Secret Society of Hertford Crafters” have struck again at Christmas Time. This time they have produced a magnificent Christmas tree within which is an advent calendar! The tree is located in Salisbury Square.
The Tree is made up of 40 boxes each with a crafted scene or character and 96 fence posts each decorated with a building and garland, many representing the towns shops. At the top of the tree is a star covered in silver knitting and hand-made angels.
Marilyn Taylor has provided some statistics on the project:
- 123 members of SSOHC have spent 22,000 hours using 24 different skills
- 60 meetings held
- 96 fence posts decorated
- 80 metres of bunting made and decorated
- 40 Christmas themed boxes, made from recycled boxes donated by a local sign firm
- 2,800 white squares lining Christmas boxes
- 412 green baubles decorated, donated by Paul Smiths
- 276 bells on Angels’ halos
Hertford Town Council has been involved in the project and hopes that it will bring people into the town and encourage them to ‘Shop Local’.
If you have enjoyed seeing the results of these ladies’ heroic efforts and would like to show your appreciation why not donate to the local charity “Herts Young Homeless”