The West end of Fore Street was split into two, the north part running into The Wash and the southern part running into Castle Street. Between these two sections of road was a building which has been pulled down and replaced by the war memorial. Properties numbered 2 to 6 were all in this block with number 2 next to the beginning of Castle Street and number 6 (Bruton’s) on the corner at the fork of the street. The street was re-numbered in 1932, e.g Norris & Duvall’s office became 102 from being numbered 60 in 1911.
At number 2 lived Robert Harding, 59, who ran a printing and stationary business. He had been married to Jane, 56, for 31 years and they had four children. Annie Reed, 27, was a packer in a laundry and Sarah Elizabeth, 22, was a shorthand clerk at a seed merchant.
The two boys, George William, 15, and John Henry Reginald, 12, were both at Hertford Grammar School. Mum and Dad probably spoke with north-east accents since they and eldest daughter Annie Reed were all born in Durham City. Sarah Elizabeth was born in Finsbury, London whilst the two boys were both born in Hertford. They did not have any servants but did have a boarder, Margaret Ellen Cooper, 19, who was an assistant teacher employed by the County Council. She was born in Cottered.
Also listed at number 2 in Kelly’s Directory was a tailors, C.D. Fountain & Co., presumably a lock-up shop, run by Charles David Fountain, 35, a master tailor. He lived at 74, Hertingfordbury Road with Mabel Alice, 32, his wife of 6 years and their two sons, Lionel Charles, 4, and Philip Arthur, 2.
At number 4 was R & AG Thorowgood, auctioneers & valuers presumably run by Alick Grey Thorogood,53, a surveyor originally from Ware, who lived at 108, Railway Street with his wife, Anne Eliza, from Southampton, and four of their children. Dora Grey was 16, Hilda Grey was 14, Benjamin Grey, 10 and Joice Grey, 8. All the children were born in Ware but only the youngest two were still at school.
At number 6 which consisted of 6 rooms, lived Oliver Ernest Bruton who was a tailor and outfitter running his own draper’s shop. He had been married for 17 years with no children but there is no mention of his wife, nor is he described as a widower. He was born in 1862 in Watford. He had a general, domestic servant called Rosa Bella Housden, aged 20 who was born in Ware. In 1901 he was married to Lily A, aged 33, from Tunbridge Wells but I could find no evidence of her in the 1911 census nor of her death between 1901-11.
At number 6a was the business of W. North, cycle maker & motor engineer. Presumably this business was run by Wallace North, 32, a cycle engineer who lived at 103, Ware Road with his wife of 12 years, Diana Elizabeth, 35, from Lambeth, London. They had two children, Lillian Mabel, 10, born in Staines, Middlesex, and Margaret Winifred, 3, born in Hertford. Wallace was born in Tebington about 5 miles to the East of Leighton Buzzard in Beds. Wallace’s brother, Frederick, 22, from Luton, also lived with them and since he was also a cycle engineer and is described as a worker presumably worked for Wallace who was described as an employer.
At number 6b in only 4 rooms lived the Scrivener family: Alfred Richard, aged 25, and Alice, aged 26, who had been married for 3 years and had a 2 year old son, Alfred George Edwin who had been born in Hertford. Mr. Scrivener ran a hardware shop on the premises assisted by Alice. Alfred was born in Bengeo than a village just outside Hertford whilst Alice was born in Felsted, Essex. Also living in the house at that time was Horace Leonard Scrivener, aged 21, presumably Alfred Richard’s younger brother, who was a printer’s machinist perhaps at Austin & Sons Ltd at number 5. He had also been born in Bengeo.
At number 8 (now 5 Parliament Square) lived Harry Ilott Harry who was a 36 year old watch maker (jeweller) based on the premises. His spinster sister, Nellie who was 2 years older lived with him. They were both Hertford born and bred, although Harry had spent some time in Switzerland honing his watchmaking skills. He had also worked in Eton and Harrow before returning to help his mother, Mary, run the business in 1901. Mary had run the business since her husband, Samuel, had died in 1887 and Harry took over when she died in 1904. Samuel had started the business in 1885. (cf. Hertford’s Clockmakers & Public Clocks in 20th Century, Hertford & Ware Local History Society by Jean Riddell, Journal 2012.) The Harrys were looked after, in their seven rooms, by Maud Sandford who was 20 years old and came from the village of Aldbury.
At number 10 William John Morris ran a house furnishers and house removals business. The shop contained a large selection of well-made second hand furniture, viz. wardrobes, desks, etc. as well as Turkey carpets, furniture, tables, chairs etc. to be let on hire in small or large quantities.
At number 14 was a silversmith and jewellery business, “E. Marks”, managed by Alice Marks after her father Evan died in 1904. Evan had been taken on by James Field who ran a similar business in the 19th Century. Later the business name changed from “Field” to “Field & Marks” and eventually to “E. Marks” after James Field retired in 1851, (research by Jean Riddell, see above for reference.) Alice was assisted by a cousin, Sophia Rebecca Dalton, 41, from Tollington Park, London. Frederick William Homan, 55, all the way from Torquay in Devon, was a boarder and since he was described as a watchmaker repairer, he presumably worked in the business. Lizzie Pegram, 25, from Gt. Hormead, was the general domestic servant.
A solicitor, H.S. Hawks, 47, had an office at Number 16. He actually lived at Mangrove Cottage with his wife of 11 years Florence Nina, 49, with their daughter Barbara Evelyn Spence, 8; their cook, Rosetta Neaves,32, from Ware and Annie Walker, 22, the housemaid from Bramfield.
On the west corner of Bell Lane, in the 10 rooms at number 18 lived the Conington family, George, 37, from Stamford in Lincolnshire, who ran an ironmongery business, “Hertford Hardware Co.” He lived with his wife of 10 years, Emma Sophia who came from Lowestoft, Suffolk and their two children, Sidney Edward,9, and Ethel Winifred, 6. Both children were born in Hertford. Their general domestic servant was 17 years old Elizabeth Cook who hailed from Luton in Bedfordshire.
To the east of Bell Lane, George Russell Cook was the proprietor of The Salisbury Hotel (number 20). He was born in Grimsby, Lincs. He was 45 years old and had been married to his wife, Sarah Elizabeth Alice, for 22 years. The family had obviously moved around Linconshire as their son, also George Russell who was a schoolboy aged 14, was born in Laceby, whilst the two daughters, Vera Louise, aged 9, and Norah Kathleen, born in the previous year, were both born in Cleethorpes. They employed a widowed housekeeper, Laura Curtis, aged 45, who hailed from Leeds; a domestic nurse, 30 year old Lizzie Atkinson who presumably moved with them from Laceby where she was born; a waitress, Daisy Howard, 21 from Peterborough, and Percy Johnson, the 17 years old “boots”, who was born in the Hertfordshire town of Buntingford.
Staying at the hotel on the night of the census where four visitors: Charles Greenwood, single, aged 35, was the Superintendent of an Assurance Company; a married couple, G.M. & E. Canham, both 58, who had been married for 2 years; and James Kerr Bock, a 36 years old, single, consulting electrical engineer who described himself as “Scotch from Glasgow.” The hotel had 25 rooms in total, so was very quiet in terms of visitors but perhaps the bars and restaurant were busy to make up for the lack of people staying! Then, as now, The Salisbury was owned by McMullen & Sons, the Hertford brewery. In 1901 The Salisbury Arms had been run by a widow, Ellen Selly Ennlas but by 1911 at the age of 57, she was running a boarding house at 36, Queen’s Road with her daughter, Catherine Eliza, 33.
On the East side of Church Street, there was a shop and house at number 22 but it appears to have been unoccupied at the time of the census.
Living in eight rooms at numbers 24/26 were Stanley Richardson, aged 19, with his sisters Irene, 26, and Edith, 23. All were born in Hertford and, although he was the youngest, Stanley was described as the head of the household because he was male! Stanley ran a boot maker/dealer business under the name of “G. Richardson”, in which Irene assisted him. Edith seems to have been a lady of leisure! In the 1901 census George C. Richardson, aged 40, was described as a widower, originally from Limehouse, who ran a boot making business. George C. died in 1903 but, presumably, not before passing on his skills to his son, called George S. in the 1901 census, perhaps via his eldest daughter who would have been 18 at the time of her father’s death.
In a similarly sized dwelling at number 28 lived George,51, and Martha, 48, Cartledge who had been married for 23 years. They had two children, twin boys named Eric and Norman who would be 15 in 1911 and perhaps they had been sent away to school since neither is registered at home that evening, nor could I find them anywhere in the census for 1911. George ran a drapery business assisted by Beatrice Lintell, aged 39 and born in High Wycombe. They employed a cook, Mary Warren, aged 32 from Ware and a housemaid, Irene Ives, aged 21 from the Hertfordshire village of Ardley.
George was to die in unusual circumstances on the night of 13th October, 1915. He and three friends came out of Lombard House (Hertford Club) in Bull Plain to look at a Zeppelin which was caught in the searchlights. The Zeppelin dropped a stick of bombs and the four men were all killed, cf. Hertford Past in Pictures by Len Green.
Thomas Bates, single aged 58, ran a grocers & wine, spirit, ale & porter merchants, “Bates Bros.”, at number 30 which had 5 rooms. He was born in Pertenhall Parish, Beds a couple of miles SW of Kimbolton. He employed Sarah Acres, a 57 years old, widow as housekeeper, from Hampstead.
At number 32 in 20 rooms, lived Henry John Webb, aged 44, a bootmaker/dealer and antique dealer, trading under the name of Partridge & Webb. He came from Bishop’s Stortford and had been married to Emily, 47, for 17 years. The implication of the census record is that Henry was the bootmaker and Emily was the antique dealer. They had four daughters. Doris Emily Partridge 16; Zillah, 13; Irene Rhoda Partridge, 8 were all at school. The youngest daughter was Una Partridge who was 4. Emily and all the girls were born in Hertford.
At number 34 lived Emily Parker from Chishill, Essex, a 67 year old spinster, with her niece, Kate, aged 34 from the village of Barley. They were looked after by Minnie Regus, 27 from Clavering, Essex. Although Miss Parker lived at 34 her tobacconist shop was in Market Place, so presumably her household was above A.J. Sheffield’s chemist shop which was located at 34, Fore Street. Arthur John Sheffield lived at 18, Queen’s Road with his wife of 21 years, Gertrude and their daughter, Gertrude Ursula, 18, who was an Art Student studying painting. They were a Yorkshire family with the parents being born in Beverley and the daughter born in Hull. They were looked after in Queen’s Road by Amy Cakebread, 27, from the Hertfordshire village of Barwick.
At number 36, Sarah Lewis Farrow, aged 61 ran a “Refreshment Rooms” and confectionery, jointly with her son, Martin William Farrow, aged 36. Martin had been married to Annie Millicent, 34, for 2 years and they had a 10 month old baby girl called Thora Mary. Sarah and Martin were both born in Bengeo, then a village just outside Hertford, but Annie came all the way from Ruthin, Denbighshire. Fanny Selina Sell, 43, Sarah’s sister helped in the shop and they had a domestic servant, Violet Poole, 21, who came from Stamford Hill. Sarah had run a confectionary business at 10, Maidenhead Street in 1901 with Martin described as a Confectioner Journeyman and Fanny also living with them. Sarah’s and Fanny’s father had also been a confectioner. Sarah’s husband, Martin William died in 1876 at the age of 29 shortly after their son of the same name was born. Sarah and Martin had been married in 1873.
Capital & Counties Bank was at number 38, run by Bertram Alexander Smee, aged 41,from Hammersmith, who had been married to Ethel, aged 32, from Paddington, for one year. Their domestic servant was Esther Sharp, aged 29, from Old Hall Green, Ware and the establishment had 7 rooms. The bank was open from 10am to 4pm on Monday, Tuesday, Wednesday and Friday; on Thursday from 10am to 1pm and on Saturday 10am to 5pm. The head office was 39, Threadneedle Street, in the City of London.
Next door, at number 40, was another bank, Barclay & Co. Ltd., jointly run by Charles Drummond and Mr H.L.Warner, according to Kelly’s Directory. Mr. Drummond, aged 55, lived on the premises with his sister, Lucy, 52. Both had been born in the St. John’s Ward of Hertford. Ada Sophia Copps, 21 from Bury St. Edmund’s, Suffolk was their general domestic servant. On the night of the census, Mary Elizabeth Mortlake, aged 42 and single, was staying. She was described as a lady of “personal means” and was born in St. Andrew’s Parish, Hertford. This bank had twice as many rooms (14) as the one next door. The banking hours were the same as for Capital & Counties Bank. Mr Warner does not appear in the census!
Now we arrive at the Dimsdale Arms, (number 42), which like the Salisbury had 25 rooms and was run by Thomas Colerick Bird, 64, assisted by his daughter Mabel Florence, 35. Thomas was born at Westbury on Twin, Somerset whilst his daughter was born in Newport, Salop. Emily Barber, 31, single and from Lingby, Warwickshire, was the housekeeper. The Dimsdale Arms had five servants, Florence Annie Stratford, a 29 year old widow from Stratton in Cornwall, was the book-keeper. Minie Gertrude Aston, 35, from Birmingham, was the cook helped by Emma Allen, 20, from Colney Heath, the kitchen maid. Emma Rosa Baker, 29, from Epsom in Surrey was the waitress. John Ricketts, aged 25 born in Hertford, was “Boots” and married. Dimsdale Arms also had a garden. Perhaps John was married to Louise Ricketts, 33, of 36 Currie Street who lived with her 1 year, 10 month old son, Edward?
On the night of the census, Dimsdale Arms had two boarders, Kenneth Lotherington Hutchins, 28, a printer from Southborough in Kent; Alfred Joseph Tomlinson was a customs and excise officer from Wellington in Salop.
Next to Dimsdale Arms was Talbot Arms (number 46, also referred to as Dimsdale Tap) run by Richard Turner, 51, from Stone in Staffordshire, who described himself as a Hostler and Publican. He was assisted by his wife of 31 years, Ellen, 50, and one of his daughters, Amy Elsie, 17. Another daughter, Lucy Ethil, 15 was engaged in envelop manufacture. Alice, 12 and Alfred Tom, 6 were both at school. Ellen and all the children were born in Birmingham. The Talbot Arms had only four rooms in which the family had to live and run their business.
Next door was the Post Office run by John Vale Craddock, 56, from Aston in Birmingham. He lived at number 52 next door to the post office and had been married to Ann Marie, 52, for 24 years. She was born in Kingswinford, Dudley. The Post Office and living quarters had a total of eight rooms.
Kelley’s Directory describes the services available at the Post Office as follows: M.O.T. & Telephonic Express Delivery Office. Incoming mails are delivered at 7.15 a.m.;2nd day mail, England, Scotland and Foreign 10 a.m.; 3rd day mail, London, Ireland, Ware &c. 2.45 p.m.; 4th day mail, London &c. 6.30 p.m. dispatches: London & forward 10.15 a.m.; London & towns on Greta Northern, 11.15 a.m.& 12.45, 3.25, 5.20, 8 & 9.15p.m. & 12 midnight; Sundays, 6.50 a.m. & 8.30 & 12 p.m. Office closed at 8 p.m. Telegraph Office open from 8 a.m. till 8 p.m.; Sundays, 8.30 till 10 a.m.
Described as being number 54a in the Inland Revenue document but actually being behind numbers 46 (Dimsdale Tap) to number 62 were the original buildings of Hertford Grammar School. (These buildings are now cut off from Fore Street, of course, by the dual carriageway, Gascoyne Way.)
Number 54 was a hardware store managed by Maurice Uglow, who had been married to Sarah Grace for 25 years. They were each 54 and had come from Launceston, Cornwall. They had had three children, one of whom had died and only one of whom, their daughter, Helen, 15, born in Hertford was still living with them. William Edgar Croydon, 26, from Hackney, his nephew assisted Maurice in the shop. There were 6 rooms in this establishment.
The original Hertford Museum, opened in 1903, was at number 56 where the Andrews brothers, Robert Thornton, 73,and William Frampton, a year younger, had their insurance agents’ office. Robert lived at 25, Castle Street with his family, whilst William, a widower, at 27, West Street. Together they established the museum on the premises with their office numbered 56a. In February, 1914 the brothers bought number 18, Bull Plain and opened the Museum there in February the following year.
At number 58 lived another bank manager, William Cosens, 64, from Barnham in Sussex. He ran the London County & Westminster Bank*. He lived with his wife of 27 years, Rosa Lucy Adelaide, 52. Rosa was believed to have been born in Cheshire! One daughter, Marjorie Amy, aged 26, was a private family tutor. Another daughter Olive Mabel, 21, and a son Henry Cecil, 19, both lived at home. There had been two other children, one of whom had died. All the three children mentioned had been born in Hertford, as was Lily Annie Davey, 25, the cook. Martha Rachel Kirby, 19, their housemaid was born in the village of Sacombe on the other side of Bengeo.
Norris & Duvall had an office at number 60 and also owned number 62 where in seven rooms lived William Henry Brewster, 45, a fishmonger, originally from Hoddesdon. He had been married to Helen, 46 from Bengeo, for 22 years and they had had four children, all of whom were still living at home! The eldest three Nellie, 21, William,19, and Percy, 18, were all born in Ware whilst the youngest , Herbert George, 16 was born in Hertford itself. All three of the boys helped their dad as fishmongers. The house had a garden.
Number 64 was another inn, called The Ram Public House, run by Sidney Chase, 23, from Hockliffe, Beds. He had been married for under a year to Amy, 26, from Sharnbrook, Beds. Amy’s widowed mother, Mary Ann Grant, 68, born in Shefford, Beds lived with them. The Ram had ten rooms including family and public rooms.
Behind The Ram was the Cattle Yard run by Norris & Duvall. The cattle market had taken place in the West end of Fore Street for centuries. As the middle class developed there were complaints about the mud and mess this created, so eventually the Corporation, in 1851, secured this yard behind The Ram as an animal yard.
A general practitioner, Dr. John Tanther Tasker Evans, 68, practised at Upton House, number 66. He had been married to Jane Emily Tasker Evans for 41 years. He came from Haverford West, Wales but he presumably had met Jane locally as she was from the village of Thundridge on the A10. Their daughter, Hilda Margarita, aged 39 lived with them in the town in which she had been born. They had two domestic servants, Elizabeth Starkin, 17 from Tonwell and Rose Emily Hall, 20, from Watton-at-Stone. This, of course, was at a time when all doctors were in private practice and Dr. John was presumably a successful practitioner since his house had fourteen rooms and a garden. He was also a member of Hertford Cricket Club and in October, 1900 he was presented with a gold match box for his efforts in obtaining the funds to cover the £128.15.0 that was required to build the “New” Pavilion at Balls Park (this is now the old pavilion!) There is also an oak plaque fixed to the pavilion commemorating his efforts. This was made by Mr. Peck, the stonemason who was also a cricketer.
In the spacious surroundings of 14 rooms at number 68 lived Mary Young, an 80 year old widow who lived by “private means.” She lived with three daughters, Ellen Agnes, aged 53; Jessie Francis, 51, both single; and Ada Mary Phillips, 55, who was herself a widow – her husband had been a solicitor born in St. Paul’s Walden who died in 1904 at the age of 57. Mary and her three daughters were all born in Hertford. Mary employed Elizabeth Ann Maston, 43, from Old Walden, as a cook and Florance Webb, 25, from Hackbridge in Surrey, as a house maid.
Henry Archer, a 79 year old retired gardener, lived in a cottage of four rooms at number 70. He was a widower who had been born in Sandridge.
Next came a Hertfordshire twitchel or alley called Rooks Alley.
At number 74 lived Ernest Richard Evans a 66 years old surgeon with his wife of 36 years Mary Fanny and their son Ernest Harry, a 34 year old clergyman of the Established Church (Church of England). All three were born in Hertford. Presumably Florence Tisdale, 36 years old, a sick nurse from Sutton Coldfield in Warwickshire who lived with them, was looking after Ernest since he died later that year. They had four servants. Rose Swan, 32, was the cook from Kentish Town with Ethel May Crossman, 16, born in Murree, India and described as a “British Subject by Parentage” as the kitchen maid. Rachel Pryor, 37, from Takeley in Essex was the Housemaid; and Charlotte Brand, a 25 year old local girl was the parlour maid. Like Tasker Evans who was a cousin (?) he was obviously successful because the house had 15 rooms. It also had a garden and stabling.
This area of Fore Street seems to have been a popular choice for the medical profession as another physician, Charles Edward Shelly, 56 years old lived in ten rooms at number 76. He had been born in Nuneaton, Warwickshire. He advertised himself as “Dr. E Shelly, Surgeon” in Bennett’s Business Directory. He lived with his wife of 31 years, Ellen Travers, 52, who hailed from Port Elizabeth, South Africa. They did not have any children. Louie Seward, 28, from Great Staughton a village lying to the West of St Neots in Cambridgeshire, was their cook, whilst Emily Elizabeth Ball from Buntingford was the 18 year old parlour maid. This establishment also had a garden.
In 1914 at the beginning of the war, Dr. Shelly wrote a hymn entitled “In Time of War” which he sold for 1d or 2d including music. All the proceeds were given to the relief fund for soldiers and sailors families.
Arthur George Shaw Chaplin, 57, ran an engine packing & manufacturing company at number 78. He hailed from Stratford-le-Bow then described as being in Essex but now part of the London Borough of Tower Hamlets. His wife of 15 years was Jessie Rutherford. They had two boys George Henry Rodrack who was 13 and Arthur James Ernest who was 11 who had both been born in Hertford and were both still at school, perhaps at The Grammar School. Muriel Eve Green, 26 from Ipswich, was Jessie’s companion/servant and they had two other servants, Jamie, 22, the cook, and her sister Annie Huttlestone, the housemaid, both from Ware.
Number 80 was a residence for a number of secondary school mistresses who taught at Christ’s Hospital School. They were:
- Jessie Barton, 29, from Bourn in Cambridgeshire, whose father William Gore Barton, aged 70, was a retired Relieving Officer & Registrar Of Births Marriages & Deaths living in Bourne with Honor Maria, aged 67, his wife of 47 years. Jessie’s 31 years old sister was head teacher of an elementary school in Church St. Over, Cambridgeshire. The family came from Norfolk;
- Katherine Mary Curtis, 23, from St. George’s, Tufnell Park;
- Dorothy Lawrence,22, Taunton. Her older sister, Mary Gower Lawrence, a 30 years old secretary at an Institute from Somerset was visiting on the night of the census. Dorothy had been educated at Sidcot School, an endowed school run by the Society of Friends, in Winscombe, Axbridge, Somerset. Their father, Samuel, aged 70, was still living with his wife of 41 years, Alice, in Ford House, Taunton;
- Evelyn Phipps, 23, was born in Frome Vauchurch, Dorset, (a parish and village on the banks of the River Frome, 8 miles north-west of Dorchester). Evelyn’s father, Frederick had been vicar of Frome Vauchurch with Batcombe when Evelyn along with 2 sisters and a brother were born. In 1901 she and her older sister, Alice M., were boarding with the clergyman, Sydney Boulton and his family in Dorchester, presumably being taught along with Sydney’s two daughters by the Governess, Mabel Pick, 26, who hailed from Clifton, Bristol. By 1901 Evelyn’s father, now 52, was living at St.Peter’s Vicarage, Devizes, describing himself as “Clerk in Holy Orders (Church of England).” He was living with Alice, 49, his wife of 25 years but none of their six children;
- Susie Mary Simmonds, 22, from Potter’s Bar. In 1901 Susie was living at Freeman’s Orphan School, Stockwell, Lambeth, one of 140 pupils;
- Gladys Stewart, 29, from New Malden in Surrey who as the oldest was presumably ‘in charge’ – she certainly signed the census return. Her father was William Stuart, 66, a retired Clerk in Library in House of Commons living in Wimbledon with Elizabeth Mary, 65, his wife of 33 years and George Edward their 25 year old son who was an Insurance Clerk;
- Ethel Woodhams, 28, from Frindsbury, part of the Medway Towns conurbation in Kent. Ethel had been a scholar at Christ’s Hospital in 1901 when there were 259 children (127 girls, 132 boys) at the school. Her father was Frank, a 59 years old farmer at Larkinhall, Bill Street, Frindsbury and her mother was Frances Emma, 46 in 1901 when Ethel and her two older sisters Mary Elizabeth and Catherine along with a cousin Caroline E. Henwood were at school locally.
The ladies were looked after by two servants, Annie Humphries, the 24 years old cook from Ware and Nellie Chandler, 20, the housemaid from St. Margaret’s, Rochester.
At number 82 lived Ellen Mary Patton, a 62 years old widow who had been born in Dereham, Norfolk, with her motor salesman son, 27 year old Cyril Ernest who had been born in Hertford. Ellen had a second son who was not registered as living in Hertford. They had two servants, Daisy E.H.A. Russell, cook and general domestic only 19 from Highgate, and housemaid, Ellen Ethel Woodcock, 23 from Bishop’s Stortford. The house had eleven rooms and a garden.
Robert Atkinson Hudspeth, a 44 years old dentist practised at number 84. His wife of 14 years, Jessie Mary, 46, lived with him in her native town although they had had no children. The Hudspeths had two servants Edith May Monk,23, also born in Hertford who was the cook and general domestic and Emily Elizabeth Pegram, 22, the housemaid born in the village of Westmill near Buntingford. The premises had twelve rooms and a garden.
At number 86 lived James Lively Gregory, a Professor of Music, 51, from Old Windsor, who owned a music shop. His wife of 7 years, Ellen Victoria, 36, from Gibraltar had previously been a teacher at Christ’s Hospital. They lived with their three children Alan Joseph, 5; Jean Mary Roden, 3; and 1 year old David Rupert who had a nurse maid, Ethel Gladys Godfrey, 15, from West Hampstead, to look after him. All the children had been born in Hertford. One other child had died. The general domestic servant in the 10 room household was Rose Jane Hurley, 22 from N. Islington. This house also had a garden.
Mr. Gregory was the organist at All Saints’ Church and taught music to the girls at Christ’s Hospital and the boys at Hertford Grammar School. In 1914 he would be Music Master at the Millenary Pageant which was organised to commemorate 1000 years since the Saxon King Edward the Elder ordered the building of the two burghs, one each side of the river, which eventually became the town of Hertford.
Mr. Gregory died on the evening of 13th October, 1915 in the only air-raid on Hertford in the war when 55 bombs were dropped on the town from an airship.
Fore Street ended at its East where it ran into Ware Road with London Road running away to the South.