Opening of Hertford Grammar School New Building
1st May, 1930
By Geoff Cordingley
The original Hale’s Grammar School, later to be called Hertford Grammar School, was founded in 1617 by Richard Hale. The building still stands near All Saints’ Church and is still used for education.
By the late ’20s, even though it had been enlarged, the school was too small for the purpose of educating boys at secondary level and a new building was built up the hill above the town. It was opened on 1st May, 1930 by Lady Desborough.
The programme for the opening is held at Hertfordshrie Archives and Local Studies and is reproduced here.