Restoration of St Leonard's Church, 1883-89 Committee Meeting no 4
On the 18th day of May in the year of our Lord 1883 – Again did the Committee meet in the Chancel of the Church of S Leonard and there came The Revd JCM Mansel-Pleydell Rector, the Revd W Wigram Rural Dean, Richard B Croft R.N. & Gerard Gosselin, Hon Sec
(1) The minutes of the proceedings of the 6th April were taken as read _ (2) The Secretary gave in a report stating that the instructions of the Committee with respect to the Chancel floor, had been carried out. That Capt Parker had provided the necessary gravel & sand and had carted the same to the Church. That Mr Palmer had carted the water used for the concrete to the church. that the laying of the floor & the purchasing of the concrete were paid for by the Misses Gosselin & himself & would not be charged to the Committee.
3|| The Committee determined, that, having raised funds amounting to £280 odd (being £20 above Mr Mickelthwaites estimate) they would set about the roof of the Chancel, and it was agreed that if possible, a local builder should be employed, Mr Mickelthwaite having strongly advised this in one of his letters, after many pros & cons it was agreed that Messrs Ekins should be asked to send in an estimate on the condition that the Committee would not bind themselves to accept it if they considered it too high & that they would in that case keep the estimate secret till the work was let. Mr Wigram was deputed and kindly undertook the work of instructing Mr Ekins, it was suggested by Capt Croft that Ekins should be asked to estimate for doing the work in both oak all through and also in pine & oak as specified by Mr Mickelthwaite.
4|| A letter form one Ambrose Hall was read asking after his monument in the Church, also his dead relations (lately concreted down) buried in the Chancel, also was read the Secretary’s answer to him.
‘ J.C.M. Mansel-Pleydell