Renovation of St. Leonard’s Church Roof, January 1938

Geoff Cordingley

From the Bengeo Parish Magazine, January 1938

 SUNDAY SCHOOL COLLECTION

The following are the names of the societies which our Sunday School supports by means of weekly collections: Missions to Seamen, C.M.S., Waifs and Strays, The Bengeo Cot, Medical Missions and the Children’s Church at Luton.  In addition to the above sufficient has been collected to place a chair in St. Leonard’s Church and 4s. 6d. towards the structural repairs.

ST. LEONARD’S CHURCH.

We are glad to be able to report that the work of saving the roof timbers is well in hand and that most of it will be completed during the early days of January.  It has been found necessary to provide a new oak door for the porch in the south wall and to plaster over many defects in the north and south walls of the nave.  The lighting of the Church by electricity is under consideration, and this matter will be brought before a meeting of the Parochial Church Council to be held at 8 p.m. in the Church Hall on Monday January 3rd.

Our readers will be glad to hear that there has been an excellent response to the appeal for funds, and the Appeal Committee would like to take this opportunity of thanking most warmly all those who have so generously subscribed.  The Fund will not be closed for some considerable time yet, as many copies of the Appeal have been sent to friends abroad, but the Committee have every confidence that it will be found, when the Fund is closed, that an amount will have been received sufficient to cover all the present necessary restoration and to provide a handsome sum over and beyond this which may be invested as an Endowment Fund.

Ref: D/P17/29/15

This page was added on 12/10/2017.

Add your comment about this page

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Start the ball rolling by posting a comment on this page!