Hertford Library at Old Cross
The Library was opened as a Borough Library in 1888 by A. J. Balfour, M.P. for Hertford from 1874 to 1885 and later Prime Minister. The ground floor was the library and above it was a School of Art.
The library remained the responsibility of the Borough until the early 1960's when it was transferred to the County Library Service becoming a branch library.
For some years there has talk of moving the library to a new building as part of the development in Dolphin Yard. This building is now ready, so the building in Old Cross will be closed on 24th December, 2011 and the library opened on the new site on 12th January, 2012.